Local Sources for Genealogical Research
Because hours change faster than my website, please call in advance to confirm hours of operation.
- City of Pleasanton Library,
400 Old Bernal Ave., Pleasanton. Hrs: M-Th, 10-9; F&Sa, 10-5; Su, 1-5. In addition to general resources, newspapers, area references,
houses excellent collection compiled by Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society. Also see:
for more complete information on genealogical holdings.
- Livermore Public Library, Civic Center, 1188 S. Livermore Ave., Livermore;
ph: 925-373-5500. Hrs: M-Th, 10-9; F, 10-6; Sa, 10-5; Su, 12-6. General resources, newspapers, major references.
- Family History Center, 950 Mocho St., Livermore; ph: 925-443-2750. Hrs: M, 9-3; W-Th, 6-9;
Sa, 1-4; also 6101 Valley Ave., Pleasanton; ph: 925-846-0149. Hrs. T-Th, Sa, 9-1; T-W, 7-9.. International Genealogical Index, Family Search,
access to microfilmed original records throughout the world.
- Santa Clara Central Park Library, 2635 Homestead Rd., Santa Clara; ph: 408-615-2900.
Hrs: M-Tu, 9-9; W, 12-9; Th-Sa, 9-6; Su, 1-5. Wonderful genealogy and local history collection, general resources, newspapers, major references.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library, 150 E. San Fernando St., San Jose; ph: 408-808-2000.
Hrs: M-W, 8a-10p; Th-Sa, 9-6; Su, 1-5; check web site for special collections hours. Government documents, major references, theses, California Room and SJSU special collections.
- California Genealogical Society Library, 2201 Broadway, Oakland; ph: 510-663-1358. Hrs: Th-F, 9-4; Sa, 10-4. Non-member
reader fee of $5, except 1st Saturdays. National and international holdings include genealogies, references, local histories, periodicals, maps, manuscripts,
even original Boston Transcripts!
- San Francisco Public Library, 100 Larkin St., San Francisco; ph: 415-557-4400. Hrs: M, 10-6; Tu-Th, 9-8; F, 12-6;
Sa, 10-6; Su, 12-5; check web site for special collections hours. San Francisco History Center, Photo Collection, federal depository, law collection, city directories,
newspapers, as well as general references.
- California State Library, 914 Capitol Mall, Sacramento; ph: 916-654-0261. Hrs: M-F, 9:30-4. California newspapers,
county histories, DAR compilations, censuses, cemetery transcriptions, etc.
- California State Archives, 1020 "O" St., Sacramento; ph: 916-653-2246. Hrs: M-F, 9:30-4; also 1st Sa. Censuses,
county records, military records, Supreme and appellate court cases, mental health and prison records, etc.
- Law Library, University of California-Berkeley, Bancroft and College Aves., Berkeley; ph: 510-642-4044.
Hrs: Check web site, as hours vary with calendar. US and international legal history, reporters, sessions laws, etc.
- National Archive and Records Administration, Pacific Region Branch, 1000 Commodore Dr.,
San Bruno; ph:. Must have photo I.D. Hrs: M-F, 8-4; (call for additional hours). Especially important for Asian-Pacific research; also NARA microfilm.
- Sutro Library, 1630 Holloway Ave., San Francisco; ph: 415-469-6100. Hrs: M-F, 10-5; excluding holidays. One of the largest genealogical
collections west of Salt Lake City.
Please mail comments and suggestions to Susan Johnston at
This page copyright January 2007,
by Susan Goss Johnston.
You may link to these pages, but do not copy
them without the written permission of the author.